Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Dylan's Second Birthday Party

Dylan's second birthday was a labor of love. The theme was Rainbows on Sesame Street. My little boy is in love with all of the Sesame Street characters. We did an Elmo second birthday for our oldest, so we did have some things and some ideas. We realized after Owen's second birthday we fell short in the decorating department. We have 7 million Sesame Street things. Why not use our own toys to decorate?! We've been waiting 2 1/2 years for this party! Our house was filled with very close friends and family. It was such a loving celebration of our little man's second birthday. He was the center of attention and had so much fun! A big thank you to Nana for the gift of a small jumpy house we can blow up any time we want!!

The banner came from Etsy. And it is the most adorable banner I've ever seen! I also ordered the Sesame Street cookies from Etsy. I'm creative, but I do not have the patience for royal icing. I ordered labels and signs from Etsy and had them printed locally. We've been collecting paper lanterns in every color for a year or so now. And that made our dining room look so festive. I'm also trying to purchase vinyl tablecloths in every color so I have a nice stock for birthday parties. I'm almost there. I did buy a few decorations from a local party store to supplement. I made the pennant banner, but that was easy (scissors, ric rac, and iron on backing for cut out letters).

My husband made his famous maple meatballs, honey barbeque chicken skewers, quesadillas, and shredded pork barbeque sliders. The food was tasty and went fast. But the dessert table was the crowning jewel. I made chocolate cake balls and coated them in rainbow colors. We had rainbow suckers and rainbow skittles. For Cookie Monster's contribution, we had carmelitas, chocolate chip cookies, and mini s'mores. We also made Trix Krispy Treats and Sesame Street candies using a mold. The absolute labor of love was the cake. We made a seven layer rainbow cake with buttercream between each layer. My husband is the fondant master (on his first ever attempt). He covered the cake in yellow fondant then made a Sesame Street sign, Dylan's name, and the cute little balls around the cake. We used our own Sesame Street toys to decorate and added Crayola candles in honor of Elmo. When we cut the cake I heard a collective gasp between us. It was magical. Dylan loved every part of it and keeps requesting cake and cake balls!








Now we have to somehow manage to equal or top that for Owen's 5th birthday party in April! Six months to plan an awesome Avengers party!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates